Helen Greenley BSc, PG Dip CABC
The Behaviour Referral Service
I offer a professional and reliable behaviour referral service for your clients. If you are a veterinary surgeon and wish to refer a canine or feline behaviour case that is under your care, please email the following to me at email@example.com;
- Completed referral form
- The animal's medical history
- Contact details for your client if they have not spoken to me already
On receiving this information I will contact the client and make arrangements to see them.
Help is available for:
- Inter and intra-species aggression
- Resource guarding
- Separation related behaviours
- Anxiety, fears and phobias
- Noise sensitivity and phobias
- Repetitive or stereotypical behaviours
- Inappropriate urination/defecation
- Urine marking indoors
- Destructive behaviour
- Excessive vocalisation
- Predatory chase issues
- Behaviour problems in senior pets
- Attention seeking behaviour
- Over-attachment/ hyper attachment
- General training issues
What you and your client can expect:
- Initial consultation at the client's home of 2-3 hours
- An assessment of the behaviour and motivation made by differential diagnosis
- First aid and management advice
- Consultation with the referring vet on matters of health, diet, neutraceutical or pharmaceutical support
- A tailored behaviour modification plan (copied to the referring vet)
- 6 months follow-up support by email and telephone
In accordance with the Code of Practice of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC), I only see clients for behaviour counselling upon veterinary referral. Ill health inevitably impacts upon behaviour and it is important to ensure that any medical conditions are identified and treated, or if they cannot be treated, are understood and accommodated within a programme for behaviour modification.
I am a Full Member of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC). I am also a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (MAPDT 1173) and an Animal Behaviour and Training Council (ABTC) registered Clinical Animal Behaviourist and Animal Training Instructor.
Most insurance companies will cover my fees, all or in part, but clients are advised to check their policies before booking.
Additional Services for the Veterinary Practice
I can also provide:
- In-house behavioural CPD
- Open day talks for clients
- Branded client fact sheets
- Bespoke one to one training visits for clients
- New puppy home visits for clients
- Good quality local puppy training classes (South Herts/North London)
If you wish to discuss a case or request further details on my services, please do get in touch. I can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 07956 491259.
RCVS Advice Regarding Behavioural Referrals
Regulation of the dog training and behaviour industry began in 2010 with the formation of the Animal Behaviour and Training Council (ABTC), who published their first registers of practitioners in 2014. It is still not illegal however for unqualified individuals to see behaviour cases and there is a very real risk of more harm being done than good.
Claire Wilson MA VetMB CCAB MRCVS PGDipCABC writing in the Veterinary Times, highlights this in her article ‘Behavioural referrals – who to choose’;
“Vets must consider the welfare implications of training methods used and this means they must be fully aware of who they refer to, what their qualifications are and whether they are recognised by one of the organisations listed by the ABTC.”
For the full article click here
“I have known Helen Greenley since I started working at Wellpet Vets in February 2013. During this time Helen has been very involved with our monthly ‘Puppy Parties’ where she helps our clients with early puppy training and teaching good manners, and she has run informative in-house behaviour CPD training sessions for the Wellpet staff. Helen has also accepted numerous training and behavioural referrals from us. I have always found Helen to be pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. She has a calm manner and a professional attitude. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Helen to any client or friend experiencing training or behaviour problems with their pet.”
Leonie Newton BVetMed BSc (hons) MRCVS
"Animal behaviour has never been the same to me since I met Helen. Helen's knowledge on animal behaviour is outstanding and catching, as she brings it with passion and makes it very interesting!! Helen has an excellent bedside manner, and if I refer my clients to her, I know they will be in good hands. She trains me and my team regularly on basic behavioural topics and has made remarkable improvements in the more challenging cases I have referred to her so far. My clients and I also receive outstanding instructions on how to tackle specific behavioural issues long-term, once Helen has seen them. Happy owner, happy pet and happy vet! "
Dr Maud van de Stadt MRCVS
Head Veterinary Surgeon Village Vet Brookmans Park